Tire Safety & Maintenance
Tires are an important safety feature on your car. Your tires are the only points where your vehicle maintains contact with the road and they are one of the two things make your car stop (along with your brakes). The age, quality and condition of your tires directly impact stopping distance for your vehicle, especially in an emergency stopping situation.
Here are some good tire safety pointers for maintaining your tires:
· Perform regular visual inspections to look for tire wear.
· Tire professionals recommend air checks at least once each month (many shops perform this service free of charge.) Some owner’s manuals even recommend checking the air in your tires once a week.
· Rotate your tires according to manufacturer’s recommendations. Rotations are extremely important to extend the life of your tires.
· Have a professional check your tires for proper alignment to prevent uneven wear on your tires.
· Replace tires once they are worn down to 4/32” of tread or have reached 6 years old.
· When buying tires be aware of tire age. Even a “brand new” tire may have been sitting around the store for a few years. Don’t buy a tire that is six years old or older.
· Don’t forget your spare! Be sure to inspect your spare tire when you check your other tires. Make sure it is less than 10 years old, and is properly inflated. Your spare tire should be the best tire on your car since it is part of your “emergency” equipment.
Use this helpful list to check your own tires and remember to inspect the tires on your teenage driver’s car or your elderly parent’s car, too. Keep yourself and your family safe on the road.
Whenever you visit your auto repair or oil change shop for an oil change, youll face a choice: regular oil, or synthetic? Both can be good decisions, based on your vehicle, the type of driving you do, and ho... More
Car Safety Supplies Checklist Any trip can encounter unexpected road trouble, from the occasional flat tire to the flat-out, scary, white-out, northern blizzard the difference between inconvenience and dan... More
Expert Tips for Parents of Teen Drivers There are many websites that offer resources for parents of teen drivers. Here are a four of our favoritesfor more tips on keeping your teen driving safety, visit th... More